- Measuring is very important but fairly simple. Your measurements will be used to place your order. Please measure carefully.
- The simplest way to measure your yard is to break the yard up into separate areas or sections. Measure the length (in feet) x width (in feet). Round up to an even foot such as (12′, 14′, 16′) most sod is cut 2′ feet wide
- Allow extra sod for odd-shaped lots.
- Example Measurements
Example Measurements: --------------------- Area 1 = 80 x 60 = 4800 SF. Area 2 = 32 x 10 = 320 SF. Area 3 = 12 x 40 = 480 SF. Area 4 = 30 x 40 = 1200 SF. Area 5 = 32 x 12 = 384 SF. --------------------- Total = 7184 SF. SF. = Square Feet * For square yards divide SF. by 9
Preparing the Soil
- After your final grade is done rake all lumps and debris from the area. Level off highs and lows. Add topsoil (black dirt) if needed. Make sure the dirt slopes away from the house. The level of dirt should be approximately 1” below sidewalks, driveways and edging. Mark all sprinklers and boxes clearly now. Rake your yard to smooth.
- In light or sandy soil it’s recommended to add 2” to 4” of topsoil (black dirt) and till to a depth of 6”.
- Fertilizing prior to sodding, applying a start fertilizer to your soil before sodding provides your sod with the best possible start you can give it. However it is not necessary but it does promote faster root growth and feeds your new sod. (If you do prior fertilizing be sure you are using fertilizer designed for “new sod” or “seed”)
- Again… Please contact us with any questions. Becker Sod Farms, LLC is ready to help Becker, Clear Lake, St Cloud, or Big Lake, MN homeowners.
- Often Same Day Service (call ahead for deliveries)